Coronavirus Update 69.
Quick Hits and other musings –
1) In the interview with Dr. Offit there were a few big take aways:
- Boosters for non risk based teen and young adults are unlikely to provide benefit while offering a small but real level of risk from myocarditis
- Boosters are offering minimal benefit to the nation from a transmission perspective. At best 8-12 weeks of protection against symptomatic disease
- Dr. Offit voted against adding omicron antigens to this fall’s booster as there was limited data that it would any benefit. He was in the minority at the FDA advisory meeting, thus this fall’s booster will have new strain genetics in it
- The boosters could, not shown yet in humans, block future variant immunity to newer strains through viral immune imprinting
A lot more this week to digest.